Large Format 3D Printing
Large format additive manufacturing (3D Printing) has advanced in equipment and materials in a short period of time, leading to adoption by industry as a viable manufacturing alternative, or enhancement, to traditional processes. Large format additive manufacturing benefits include:
- Reduction in costs-Direct to Mold can eliminate 1 or more costly steps in the manufacturing process.
- Confirm design feasibility prior to production.
- Complex geometries are now possible
- Speed to market – products can move from design to market ready in a matter of weeks rather than months or years.
- Material flexibility – from carbon or glass fiber filled room temperature to high temperature materials.
- Less Waste.
- With TD Coatings, fine detail and minor design changes are possible without reprinting.
- Less storage required.
Carbon Fiber Composites
Carbon fiber is commonly used to reinforce composite materials to produce something strong, yet lightweight. Once bound with a polymer or resin (such as epoxy) carbon fiber creates a composite that is then used in a variety of consumer and technical based industries. Properties of the carbon fiber composite are affected by the carbon fiber reinforcement, the polymer resin matrix that binds the carbon fiber together, and any additives introduced to the resin.